Sunday, June 24, 2012

Graduated


The fruit of five years of hard work and we have it! We have our rings and our diplomas!


I've made so many friends over the years and it is amazing how much people bond over these school projects. I still remembering meeting two random guys in year 2 in marketing whom happened to also be in Mechatronics, I would have never guys that these two guys would become one of my closest friends and peers during my stay at McMaster University. 


We can forget the time we spent days and night trying to push our capstone into the best possible level, most of which are actually spend in the hallway! Now we are at a cross road, guys are off to with their engineering job and I am off to chase after the game industry and game design. We have our passion and it is what we'll follow.

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Game Project - Day 2

So my game project has turned into a quick lesson on advanced game modeling and animation...

My current vision for this game project is to take models and art work from League of Legends and develop my own fan-based game on a full custom game environment with XNA. However, Riot's file formats with their models are being a fairly difficult hurdle to overcome. As you can see below, I figured out how to import their base models and textures into a Maya 2012.


 The problems starts arising when I try to animate the models. Partly due to my lack of knowledge in this area, when I bind the skin of the model to the skeleton file and attempt to animate the model, the model tends to be completely warped and looks fairly hideous. Right now I am frustrated and annoyed at trying to figure out how to properly import and animate the model problem, but I know where the problem area is, so hopefully, it will be done soon.


It's now working! BIGGGG Shout out to LGG from the League of Legend community for the instruction on how to import the .skn and .skl properly!

**Note: Apparently XNA does not accept the skeleton structures of the LOL models, and this project has became more of a technical project than a game design project.**

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Game Project - Day 1

Since school is now over and I am officially unemployed, I started my game project developing a game on the XNA framework for my PC and the XBOX 360. The XNA framework is essentially a programming foundation for programming games easily for the Window PC and XBOX 360.

For this project, I bought myself a XBOX 360 controller. Being the Razer Fanboy that I am, I bought the Onza for about $10 more than I would have needed for a Microsoft controller. Razer <3

The Razer Onza - Tournament Edition
Surprisingly, I was extremely productive today. I learned quite a number of things right off the bat. Aside from figuring out how to create 2D sprite and animations. Knowing the arts and modeling aspect would be the most difficult portion of my project, I got the idea of taking models of my favorite game and developing a fan game on my favorite game - League of Legend. So begin the learning process for 3D in XNA as well as extracting League of Legend game content.

Unfortunately, this process is fairly complicated and requires a lot of conversion of data formats and re-rigging a lot of animations and textures from the file. This is mainly because XNA only accepts .fbx model types. After extracting that .skn from Riot Games' file archive, I then needed to convert the .skn to an .obj file, (at least that was the only conversion program I found), then I needed to convert that .obj file to a .fbx which XNA accepts. Finally, the result I got was this...

A model of Master Yi , but skinless

The problem is that the texture file is unbinded during the process, so, I would then need to recreate the relationship, after about 3 hours of searching and learning, I got my hands on a wonderful educational version of Autodesk Maya and 3D Max. (Thank you Autodesk <3), which allowed me to recreate these relationships and finally let me get something interesting done today. Here it is!

After 3 hours of dealing with Autodesk, I now
 have a skinned Master Yi floating in my own program